Thursday, January 7, 2010

packing is the death of me

After countless days of endless errands, things finally started going in suitcases today. First, I will note that this is insanely weird...I've been talking about going abroad for what feels like years (really probably less than one, but just go with it) and it's finally coming. Two more days in the homeland before I start waking up in my TINY room in London. Obviously, this is cause for a shitload of excitement (excuse my French, Grandma), but also anxiety...mostly over packing.

For anyone who knows me very well, you should know that I am one of the world's least efficient packers. I am terrible at it. Every year before I go to school, I essentially clear my closet. All wearable clothes come to school...everything that stays at home pretty much suffers a death sentence (sorry clothes!) ANYWAY....the packing list for London was unsurprisingly meager which I unsurprisingly surpassed after much anxiety and many attempts to eliminate clothes that aren't absolutely imperative to my happiness and well-being while abroad. I brought about a third of the clothes I usually bring to school (yay me!) but still I am overcome with anxiety about fitting my reasonably-packed suitcases into my aforementioned TINY room. Maybe I'll wake up in the morning with a revelation about what I do and do not need to bring. Otherwise, I'll have to keep my fingers crossed and pray that my roommate doesn't need her share of the closet.

Anyway, aside from packing and getting to my dorm in London with all my luggage, I'm feeling surprisingly anxiety-free. I've been craving the UK ever since I was in fourth grade. This was largely in part to my unhealthy addiction to everything Spice Girls, but regardless, when I had to fill out a questionnaire on the first day of school, I wrote that if I could visit anywhere in the world it would be Great Britain (I also wrote that after school I like to have a drink. Seriously. In fourth grade). Needless to say in the 10 years since I was a fourth grader, my motivation for going to London has shifted tremendously (although if I could travel Europe by SpiceBus I most certainly would), but I'm still so excited to be in London and Europe and have this completely new and foreign experience. I guess that's all for now, as mentioned previously, the real excitement is on its way!

No comments:

Post a Comment