Wednesday, March 3, 2010

gorgeous days in the uk

The past two days have been some of the nicest I've had since coming here, and certainly the nicest consecutively. Monday, I had my first (and only) midterm. It was in architecture and it was totally fine. I finished pretty quickly and then Sarah and I decided we would walk around, having nothing else to do on this gorgeous day, and see if we could get tickets to go see Oliver. We walked the 10 minutes to the theatre and got seats for that nights performance: center in the second row of the balcony (seats that are usually 75 quid for only 25! Gotta love student pricing). More about Oliver later

Then we decided that we were both desperately in need of haircuts. I had done some research online to find a place that was cheap and somewhat reputable, and I found a place that had a student discount and gave free head and neck massages (!) with a haircut. Naturally, this was the place I chose for us to go to. We get there (it was called B-Zar), and realize that it is a Japanese salon. Both a little bit nervous, we sat down to get our haircuts and were both extremely pleased, which I guess is a sign that it doesn't hurt to step out of your comfort zone a little bit. We came home and changed and ate very quickly, then ran back to the Tube to head to Oliver.

Sarah and I have been talking since literally the day we got here about how badly we want to see Oliver. We both love the show, but have only seen the movie and the Northbrook Theatre rendition that we were both in when we were in 6th grade. Somehow the timing was never right and we put it off for a month and a half before finally going to see it. The show started at 7:30 and we were running late, literally got off the tube at 7:15 and had no idea where we were supposed to go. We asked 5 different people, who all gave us different directions, and were sprinting around Covent Garden like absolute lunatics trying to find the theater. We ran in the door at 7:32, the show started at around 7:36, giving us enough time to find our seats before the show began (score!). The show was amazing, we both were obsessed with the kid who played the Artful Dodger and everyone else in the cast was great too. It was also cool because the show takes place in London (duh), and we realized that one of the buildings on the set was on our Architecture midterm and also that the song "Who Will Buy" takes place right outside where we take class. Also, we figured out that Fagin is Jewish (because Bill Sykes called him the k-word, but still). We both struggled to not sing along with the cast. We're cool like that. We headed home afterward with stupidly big smiles on our faces and souvenir postcards we bought at the concession stand (which were definitely the best value thing that has ever been sold at a West End production). I came home and did my laundry, which I don't even care to discuss because the laundry facilities here redefine the term "subpar" and that should be reserved for my upcoming post "Why I despise the IES Building"...stay tuned!

Yesterday, I woke up and it was sunny and warm again, so I quickly put my laundry away and straightened up my room (which I had been delaying for weeks) while watching the latest episode of Friday Night Lights. When I was finished, I decided that it was imperative that I get my eyebrows waxed since they were bordering on unruly. I headed back by the hair salon to a new place called Cucumba (which I pronounce in my head like the baseball team in Hardball, but I think it's really more like the vegetable). After getting my eyebrows waxed, I realized I was bordering on famished, so I walked around and smelled this barbeque place called Bodean's and decided that I really wanted barbeque. I only realized later that this was because the FNL season 4 hangout was an amazing-sounding barbeque restaurant, but I got a pulled pork sandwich and fries and it was absolutely delicious even if I was full for about 4 hours. Afterward, I decided that I would walk around Soho, which I did for about 3 hours until my feet were on the verge of bleeding and I realized I was essentially walking in circles. While walking, I found some really cool little shops and also the hair that Myla donated to Locks of Love in junior high!!

Literally on the verge of exhaustion and not knowing where to go next, I boarded a bus home. As soon as I got on the bus, I talked to Sarah who was heading to Trafalgar Square with Keetin. One stop later, I got off the bus and walked to Trafalgar, because in spite of my aching legs, I thought it necessary to take as much advantage of this day as possible. Plus, I hadn't been there yet. There were so many statues and it was really beautiful. We climbed on to one of the lions  and took pictures (which are on Sarah's camera), and walked around before going into the National Gallery (which is right there). The gallery was really cool and really a beautiful building, but we weren't there for very long because it was closing and they started ushering people out. When we got outside, the sun was beginning to set and it legitimately looked like a scene from Peter Pan. We took the tube home and hung out for the rest of the night. I haven't done much today because I've been packing for Paris and Nice, which I'm leaving for this afternoon and really looking forward to. More about that when I get back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment