Sunday, February 28, 2010

a full week in london?! you don't say...

I've been seriously lax on posts recently, so with this one I hope to catch up and get myself back on track-ish, or at least to the point where I don't have two weeks' worth of things to be blogging about. Sorry if you feel an urgent need to keep up with my life as it unfolds, this week has just been obscenely busy.

Monday we got back from Amsterdam. We had woken up at 2:30 am, and with the exception of the 1 hour nap I took on the flight back to London, I was running around all day until nearly midnight. I went straight from the airport (which had absolutely ridiculous lines to get through customs) to class, which I was an hour late for (due to aforementioned obscene customs queues). I had class straight through until 4, when I came home, showered, and then jumped on a bus to Victoria, where Jason and I met his family at Wagamama for dinner before seeing Billy Elliott down the road. I didn't know what to expect of the play, and I was really really pleased. The kid who played Billy in our cast reminded me of my cousin James and was so adorable and one of the most amazing dancers I've ever seen. Also, the play was a lot sadder than I'd expected. I am very prone to crying during movies and TV shows, but I don't think I've ever cried during a play and there were two instances where I was bordering on hysteria. All because of things that had to do with his dead mother (I love you mom!). When I finally got home around 11, I had no trouble falling asleep instantly.

The next morning, I had work. I've been getting more in the swing of things there so it's been nice having a few more responsibilities and also more to do. Also, my supervisor Vincent was being more entertaining than usual, and I spent most of the morning laughing. Tuesday night, I went for dinner with the Bergs again and their British friends. We went to a nice restaurant near Green Park (the name is currently escaping me) and it was so nice to have really delicious, high-quality food (living on a student budget rocks!!).

Wednesday I had class again, youth culture and architecture, both of which were interesting. I also had my internship seminar, so I was unable to go see We Will Rock You with Jason and his family, but I met them for dinner after (AT 10:30 PM) at this place called Hakkasan. Hakkasan was this high-level Asian restaurant but it felt more like a club, and the food was absolutely delicious. I got Mongolian-style Venison which was so tender and yummy and once again I was thrilled to be eating food that cost over 10 quid. We tried to go out after,  but it was already nearly 12 when we got out of dinner, 12:30 by the time we made it to where my friends were, and there was a very slow-moving line. Seeing that I had to work the next day, I figured that getting into a club at 1:30 and being at work by 10 was not the best plan, so we headed home for the night.

Thursday I worked, and the Callahans came to Camden for lunch. We went to The Diner, one of me and Sarah's favorites. As usual, it was absolutely delicious. After work I knew the Alice in Wonderland premiere was where I had to transfer trains anyway, so I figured I would try my luck at catching a glimpse of Johnny Depp. I wasn't the only one with this idea though, there were hundreds of people outside and it was pouring rain and I'm too short to see anything anyway so I headed home for the evening, and then went to dinner at Pizza Express with Dolan and Max.

Friday I had to make up a day of work I missed last week before Amsterdam, so I spent the day in the office. It was really busy again, so I had stuff to do all day (as opposed to spending the day on facebook and gchat). Friday night I had an oh-so-romantic dinner with Dolan at McDonalds, and then a bunch of us drank and went out to this bar in Chinatown called O'Neill's. Definitely seemed like a fun place but it was WAY too crowded hence much less fun than usual, I can only imagine. We still had a good time there, though.

Saturday, Max and I walked through Portobello Road Market all day, looking at antiques and other stuff. We had lunch at a really good pub there that was also really cheap, and we drank mulled wine from a street vendor which was so delicious. I came home and took a nap, ate dinner, and then decided to have a lazy night watching "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels" with Dolan, but I fell asleep a quarter of the way through (oops).

Now it's Sunday, and I have to study for my midterm tomorrow (yuck). More to come soon, and on a more regular basis (hopefully).

No comments:

Post a Comment